We are a body of believers united by our desire to follow Jesus Christ and committed to fulfilling the purposes set forth in Holy Scripture.
A church of the Lord Jesus Christ is an autonomous local congregation of baptized believers, associated by covenant in the faith and fellowship of the gospel; observing the ordinances of Christ, governed by His laws, exercising the gifts, rights, and privileges invested in them by His Word, and seeking to extend the gospel to the ends of the earth. Each congregation operates under the Lordship of Christ through democratic processes. In such a congregation each member is responsible and accountable to Christ as Lord. Its scriptural officers are pastor/elders and servant/deacons. While both men and women are gifted for service in the church, the office of pastor is limited to men as qualified by Scripture.
The New Testament speaks also of the church as the Body of Christ which includes all of the redeemed of all the ages, believers from every tribe, and tongue, and people, and nation. Matthew 16:15-19; 18:15-20; Acts 2:41-42,47; 5:11-14; 6:3-6; 13:1-3; 14:23,27; 15:1-30; 16:5; 20:28; Romans 1:7; 1 Corinthians 1:2; 3:16; 5:4-5; 7:17;9:13-14; 12; Ephesians 1:22-23; 2:19-22; 3:8-11,21; 5:22-32; Philippians 1:1; Colossians 1:18; 1 Timothy 2:9-14; 3:1-15; 4:14; Hebrews 11:39-40; 1 Peter 5:1-4; Revelation 2-3; 21:2-3.
If God is leading you to join with us and support our beliefs and mission, come become a member! (Acts 2:38-42)
Complete a Membership Application
Choose the way you want to join and then complete the membership application at a Sunday morning/evening service or through the church office,
A) Join by PROFESSION OF FAITH
If you have never received Jesus as Savior and Lord and/or never publicly confessed Him, you will be given an opportunity to do so. After your decision has been confirmed, an appointment will be made for your baptism.
B) Join by STATEMENT OF FAITH
If you have previously made a public decision, acknowledging that you have received Christ as your Savior and Lord, we will be happy to receive you. It will be necessary for you to be baptized if you have never been baptized Scripturally (as a believer after your conversion, by immersion, in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, as a symbol and testimony of your salvation).
C) Join by TRANSFER OF LETTER
Membership by Transfer of membership from another Southern Baptist Church or church of like faith that believes in baptism by immersion. If you are currently a member of a Southern Baptist Church or church of like faith, we will receive you as a member upon promise of a letter from that church. We will contact that church to notify them of your decision and request your letter.
Responsibilities of Members
Principles for Members
- Because it is my conviction that God is leading me to First Baptist Church, I profess that I am a “born again” Christian who has been saved from my sins by receiving God’s free gift of eternal life that only comes through trusting in Jesus Christ as my Savior. Therefore, I pledge to be a functioning member of First Baptist Church. As a functioning member, I will serve. I will worship. I will pray. I will give. I will minister. I will evangelize. I will study. I will seek to be a blessing to others. And I will remember that “if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; if one member is honored all the members rejoice with it."
- I will seek to be a source of unity at First Baptist Church. I know there are no perfect pastors, staff, or other church members. However, neither am I perfect. I will not be the source of gossip or dissension. One of the greatest contributions I can make is to do all I can in God’s power to help keep First Baptist Church unified for the sake of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
- I will not let my church membership be about my preferences or desires. That type of attitude is self-serving. As a member at First Baptist Church I choose to serve Christ as I serve others. My Savior laid down his preferences to go to a cross for me. Therefore, I can deal with any inconveniences or matters that are simply not my preference or style.
- I will pray for First Baptist Church every week. I will pray for the pastors, the staff, other members, the ministries of the church, and the lost in our community. I understand that if I do not pray, I forfeit God’s power, the church’s productivity, and the church’s potential in the days ahead to be the light of Christ in our community and around the world.
- I pledge to lead my family in being fruit bearing members of Jesus Christ and our church. I will challenge my family to pray together for the church. I will challenge my family to worship together in the church. I will challenge my family to serve together in the church. As a family we will ask Christ to help us fall deeper in love with the church because He gave His life for her.
- I understand that church membership is a gift from God. Therefore, I pledge to treasure my church membership at First Baptist Church. I am humbled and honored to love and serve others in our church. As a member of First Baptist Church I understand that the church is so much greater than one person or member. Our church is part of God’s visible kingdom on the earth, and to disregard the kingdom is to disregard its King.
Church Covenant and Duties of Members
From the Constitution and Bylaws of First Baptist Church of Navarre, Adopted June, 30, 1985
Having been led as we believe by the Spirit of God to receive the Lord Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior, confess we are a sinner and repent and, on the profession of our faith, having been baptized in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, we do now in the presence of God and this assembly most solemnly and joyfully enter into covenant with one another as one body of Christ.
We engage, therefore, by the aid of the Holy Spirit to walk together in Christian love; to strive for the advancement of this church in knowledge, holiness, and comfort; to promote its prosperity and spirituality; to sustain its worship, ordinances, doctrines, and discipline; to contribute cheerfully and regularly to the support of the ministry, the expenses of the church, and relief of the poor, and to the spread of the gospel through all nations.
We also engage to maintain family and personal devotions; to religiously educate our children; to seek the salvation of our kindred and acquaintances; to walk circumspectly in the world; to be just in our dealings, faithful in our engagements, and exemplary in our deportment; to avoid all tattling, backbiting, and excessive anger; to abstain from the sale of and use of intoxicating drinks as a beverage; to use our influence to combat the use of drugs and the spread of pornography; and to be zealous in our efforts to advance the kingdom of our Savior.
We further engage to watch over one another in brotherly love; to remember one another in prayer; to aid one another in sickness and distress; to cultivate Christian sympathy in feeling and Christian courtesy in speech; to be slow to take offense, but always ready for reconciliation and mindful of the rules of our Savior to secure it without delay.
We moreover engage that when we remove from this place we will as soon as possible unite with some other church where we can carry out the spirit of this covenant and the principles of God’s words.